Monday, March 9, 2009

One of those moments...

Got a call from a very good friend. She informed me that a close co-worker, age 37, died in his sleep while traveling for work. He leaves a wife and small children. She was very close to this person and it has hit her hard.

We've been talking every week about the issues at work and how stressful they have become. Her company is downsizing, laying off and closing the office in August. Thankfully for her, they are allowing the managers to work from home come August. Not so good for her co-workers, many have lost their jobs.

I'm also having issues at work, more personnel issues than anything. I won't go into it but it's been very trying and stressful. Went to the doctor's today and although the news wasn't bad, it wasn't good either. I need to make some changes in my life and the most important one - stress - needs to be eliminated as much as possible.

So when P called me and told me her news, I was just blown away. P has been my friend for 34 years, and we've been through so many ups and downs. She's always been there for me and me for her. So in talking to her tonight, telling me how she felt, she made one comment that just rocked my night. Imagine working with someone that you've become close with, and then not to have him around anymore... It got me thinking - about me, my family and close friends.

We spend so much time worrying about the little things in life, the bullshit at work, the family arguments and just the day to day shit. There is so much that we take for granted, that sometimes I think we all need a reality check.

What would I do without P??? P lives in Florida and I don't get to see her as much I would like, but I sometimes think that because of the distance, our friendship has survived. She makes me laugh, cry and shakes me when I'm just being a shithead. Not once does she judge me, but instead encourages me in ways that I can't explain. Although she doesn't have kids of her own (she's a step-mom), she's always there to listen to me go on and on about my kids, the way that I'm raising them and always has a shoulder for me to lean on. There are times when I pick up the phone and know it's her, I spend the next hour laughing so hard that I end up crying. She has a great outlook on life and for that I am forever grateful. Life according to P should be a book - cause it would be a best seller.

So I guess when we are sitting around talking about others because they don't agree with your thoughts or views, when work gets too stressful, when the dog poops in the house, when the kids don't pick up their clothes or empty the dishwasher, I have to remember that my hubby, kids, family and especially P will always be there for me - no matter what.

So here's to you, P, for what you have brought to my life and for the friendship you have given me. I can never repay you for being there for me and I hope that I can always be there for you... I send my love to you!

3 comments:

Cherished Memories said...

I felt like your friend "P" a couple years ago when my buddy Bob passed away. It was a total shock and rocked my world for a while. Makes you stop and think...like you said we all put too much into the "little stuff"...when we shouldn't...we need to slow down and just enjoy life and the people we are around.

Serendipity said...

I have a friend like that also. She was only here a year when we were in 5th grade, but have been best friends ever since. Her family moved a lot growing up, she's now in Colorado and I'm in Minnesota. We only see each other a couple times a year, but she is my best friend. She doesn't have kids either, but is the 2nd mom to my boys. We talk about the days ahead when we can live within closer proximity to each other. Thank goodness for email and cell phones - I couldn't live without her!

LeftCoastLobstah said...

Shocking deaths are a lot worse than the ones that you are expecting. Although there is always a sadness, it's the fact that one person is there and suddenly NOT anymore, with no warning of any kind that really shakes you up inside.